Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Now thats a spider

I have been digitizing a huge box of slides for an old friend (old meaning that he's 85) who spent a lot of time in the middle east in the sixties, and I ran across this slide:

?ui=2&view=att&th=12667ab1c194873c&attid=0.1&disp=attd&realattid=ii_12667ab1c194873c&zw


Now if you look closely, it looks like a spider with ten legs and a pair of really wicked looking fangs.  Notice that the hand is keeping its distance.

Feeling that this warranted further investigation, I searched the web for desert spiders, thinking that if this thing really is a spider, then I have found absolute proof that God doesn't exist, since no rational being (I assume a god would be rational) would create such a thing.

It is (was) a spider. A Camel Spider to be exact (probably named that because they eat camels). I also found a site devoted to the little beasties:  camelspiders.net 

Furthermore, the one in the slide above IS A SMALL ONE, they can get to be 10 inches long.  Below is a more modern picture (from the site mentioned).  Now I know for sure there is no God.

By the way, they don't have ten legs. The two long things out front that look like legs are feelers of some kind.  They tell me (and I don't believe it for one minit) that they are relatively harmless.  However its rumoured that they can inject an anesthetic so that you don't feel them taking chunks of flesh out of you while you sleep. 

I'm never going to the Middle East.



?ui=2&view=att&th=12667b36206afc44&attid=0.1&disp=attd&realattid=ii_12667b36206afc44&zw

No comments:

Post a Comment